The core aims of the Key Stage 3 English Curriculum are to encourage learners to:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- develop competency in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.
- to embed core skills which will prove fundamental for GCSE study and beyond.