The core aims of the Key Stage 3 English Curriculum are to encourage learners to:
- Read easily, fluently and with good understanding.
- Develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information.
- Acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language.
- Appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage.
- Write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences.
- Use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas.
- Develop competency in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.
- To embed core skills which will prove fundamental for GCSE study and beyond.
English Long Term Plan Year 9